ABI9010 – ABIOSH Certificate in Incident/Accident Investigation ©
The ABIOSH International Certificate in Incident and Accident investigation is a 6 (six) days intensive course that prepares those who will be involved in incident and accident investigation team for effective investigative activities.
It should be emphasized that no one should investigate incidents without appropriate accident investigation training. All incidents whether a near miss or an actual injury-related event, should be investigated. Near miss reporting and investigation allow you to identify and control hazards before they cause a more serious incident.
Accident/incident investigations are a tool for uncovering hazards that either were missed earlier or have managed to slip out of the controls planned for them. It is useful only when done with the aim of discovering every contributing factor to the accident/incident to “foolproof” the condition and/or activity and prevents future occurrences. In other words, your objective is to identify root causes, not to primarily set blame.
This course teaches the principles of incident/accident investigation. They are practically based, enabling delegates to understand how to conduct an investigation from the examination of the scene to submitting the report. The course contains practical discussions to highlight the possible pitfalls in both the processing and recording of information. The sessions are challenging but constructive, aimed at achieving understanding of how vitally important identifying safety management system failures is. The course is delivered from the basis of a reasoned approach to business/operational/service management.
The part 2 deals with effective problem solving and identifying the causes of the incidents/accidents; direct and root causes using Root Cause Analysis. This is a perfect first course in effective problem solving for anyone and a required course for anyone who participates in a Root Cause Analysis
The course is designed to be entirely complementary to any internal accident reporting and investigating procedures or systems already in place in your organization. It can easily be extended to incorporate training in these local arrangements.
The part 2 deals with effective problem solving and identifying the causes of incidents/accidents; direct and root causes using Root Cause Analysis. This is a perfect first course in effective problem solving for anyone and a required course for anyone who participates in a Root Cause Analysis
• Identify the legal and organizational specific requirements regulating the reporting and investigation of workplace incidents in order to determine applicable governance procedures Explain the legal and organization specific requirements for an investigation into workplace incidents in order to follow the prescribed requirements
• Explain the procedures to be followed when an incident occurs in the workplace in order to facilitate effective management of the incident
• Explain the consequences of non-compliance with legal and organizational specific requirements in terms of the impact on safety, health and environment in the workplace
• Explain the purpose, type and extent of information required in accordance with prescribed requirements
• Identify and select resources required to conduct investigations in accordance with prescribed requirements
• Gather information in accordance with the prescribed procedures
• Explain the need for gathering accurate and relevant information about workplace incidents in terms of the impact on the quality of the investigation
• Complete reports in the required formats in accordance with prescribed requirements
• The students will learn root cause analysis. They will work several instructor – led exercises that build upon each other to learn how to identify causes and to recognize the difference between actions and conditions.
• The students will be exposed to a new way of thinking about a problem and learn a step by step method to solve any problem the work place can present.
• Each module builds upon the progression of effective solution generation in an approach that complements required methodology.
PART 1: INCIDENT / ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION
Element 1- Workplace hazard and risks
Element 2- Definition of accidents and incidents
Element 3- Management system failures
Element 4- The incident model
Element 5- Selection of investigation team
Element 6- Roles and responsibility of the team
Element 7- Timing of meeting
Element 8- Initial team approach
Element 9- Collecting facts and information
Element 10- Required facts
Element 11- Sequence of events
Element 12- Incident emergency response critiques
Element 13- Causes of the incidents; direct and root causes in brief
Element 14- Building the incident tree
Element 15- Potential incident severity
Element 16- Incident reporting / writing, presentation and follow up
Element 17- Crisis Management (crisis analysis : classification of crises)
PART 2: ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS
Element 1- Problems types
Element 2- Problem definition – What When Where
Element 3- The importance of “who”
Element 4- Causes and time lines
Element 5- Whys and beyond
Element 6- Cause and effect charts
Element 7- The need for evidence
Element 8- Solution brainstorming
Element 9- Solution qualification
Element 10- Selecting effective solutions
ICIN 2: PRACTICAL APPLICATION
• HSE Personnel
• Safety Representatives
• Project Engineers
• Maintenance Analysts
• Logistics Specialists
• Customer Service Personnel
• Healthcare Case Managers
• Healthcare Process Improvement Specialists
• Designers Engineers
• Safety Representatives
• Maintenance trades
• Continuous Improvement Personnel
• Business Analysts
• IT Professionals
• Human Resources Personnel
• Supply Chain Specialists
• Risk Managers
• Insurance Professionals
• Human Resources personnel
Prerequisite: Pre HSE knowledge required
Duration (Full Course): 6 days for ABIOSH certificate
ICIN 1- Written Exams: 10 questions from Part 1 and Part 2
ICIN 2- Practical: Project work that involves investigating an accident in candidates’ workplace and writing a report
Full Course: For the full complete accredited course, students will receive a certificate by ABIOSH upon successful completion of a written and practical exam.